Thursday, November 14 |




Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the earth
Matt. 5:5

Definition of MEEK: gentleness of spirit; we accept God's dealings with us as good, without dispute or resistance. It is the opposite of self-assertiveness and self-interest.

Dis me for faith? Talk to the hand. Tell me I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed? Bring it on. Break something of mine? I can handle it. Let the neighborhood dog run loose in my garden? BACK UP THE TRUCK!

How many times have you heard of a relationship falling apart because of 'the little things'? I'm learning it's the little things that also steal our joy, our peace, our longsuffering, our meekness. I do believe I've thought of myself more loftily than I should've in this matter. I've had my own personal perception of what I consider to be 'big' problems, or trials, and since I have it all figured out, (insert sarcastic snort), then I also have figured out my course of action should one such situation might arise - like some nut job wrecking my car; but not dogs.
 
 "Christians are known more by how they re-act, than how they act". To act appropriately is easy. To re-act appropriately is hard. And boy did I re-act inappropriately.

I realized that the absence of meekness is replaced with the presence of two things: anger, and haughtiness. I brought probably five different people into my doggie dilemma, none of which was the actual owner of the dog. I wanted my re-action be justifiable. You know, that 'righteous anger' we all have every once in a while, when we feel we have a 'right' to be upset. I wanted others to empathize with me, to help me justify my anger and feelings of self righteousness. I didn't say anything to the owners because I was mad. I couldn't call myself Christian and confront them in my holy indignation! I'll just hide behind my four walls and stew over it, thank you very much. Who's with me?!

 So where does Ps 119:165 fit in with 'your dog left me a rather smelly present'? "Great peace have they which love thy law and nothing shall offend them". NO-THING. Not even doggie-do.

I look back now and see all the different avenues I could've taken but didn't. I became part of the problem, when I could've been part of the solution. But that would've required humility. It would've required meekness. It would've required me to act only on the belief that God had control over the situation. I mean, it's just a dog, right? The thought never entered my mind that this would be something God was in. God is only in the 'big' things, like 'natural' disasters, right?
Well.... no.

Which leaves me to wonder - If I failed so badly with this little thing, what am I going to do when a 'big' problem comes?

Fight the good fight,
with meekness.
Jenny


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment