Friday, October 4 |
Yo - I got this.

When my children were just learning how to do things, like get dressed, I often heard, 'no mommy, I want to do it', when I tried to help. There was some disappointment in knowing there was one more thing they'd no longer need me for, but there was pride too, in knowing they were learning how to be their own person. 

I wonder what God thinks when we tell him, 'no, I want to do it'. Is He proud of us because (we think) we don't need Him? I seriously doubt it. 

"These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication..." Acts 1:14 We have become a society of do-it-yourselfers, pull-me-up-by-my-own-bootstrapers, I-don't-need-nobodies. Where is God? Matthew 26:41 tells us that prayer is important because it keeps us from temptation; and in our highly sexualized society we automatically assume 'temptation' refers to something sexual. I don't know about you, but I am SORELY tempted by Reese's peanut butter cups! What about that new job offer with twice the money that doesn't have a decent church in a forty mile radius? And that new _____ that you really can't afford?

Temp-ta-tion! 


I used to go to this church. On Wednesday night, we'd have the message, and after that was our prayer time. Oh, how I dreaded it! The way some of those ladies went ON! Why can't they (ehem, I mean 'we') do this in the privacy of our own homes? 

May I suggest two observances from my own life: 
    One - prayer doesn't come easily to one who doesn't see God for the God He is
    Two - prayer doesn't come at all to those who say in their hearts, 'no God, I want 
     to do this'. 

This is a relationship issue. The more time you spend with God, the more time you'll want to spend with God; more time in Bible study, in church gatherings, and in prayer. The substance of your prayer time should contain more than just a long-winded list of fellow Christians and their ailments. Christ gave us a pattern: Praise God, make sure your heart is clean before the Almighty Righteous Judge, and then seek His face for His will, leading, and strength..... and by all means, at some point, make sure you tell Him about Aunt Gertrude's bunions. 

Prayer:
Declares our Dependance on Him
Puts us in agreement with our church family
Provides protection
Increases faith and vision
Gives strength in trials
Helps us to find laborers for Christ. 
Provides opportunities to witness.

Does YOUR church have prayer regular meetings? They should. 
If they don't, maybe you should start one. 

Fight the good fight!
With prayer.
Jenny

O Come, let us sing unto the  LORD
let us make a joyful noise unto the rock of our salvation.
Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving,
and make a joyful noice unto him with psalms.
For the LORD is a great God
and a great King above all gods. 
!!!!!!!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment