Friday, July 8 |

The Fourth of...?

July? February? December? March?

Is one so different from the other? Fireworks and flags.... Flags down streets and on houses. Firework displays galore, each competing with the other to be the biggest and the best. Is this it? Are these the only reasons we look forward to the fourth day of July? What does it mean? What is the purpose?





People say it's freedom we celebrate - but freedom from what?

Once, a long time ago, our country knew the answer. Now, I'm not so sure.

Take, for instance, our national anthem. Do you know the words, by heart? Every one of them? Could you say the words? The other day I confessed something to my husband. He got a laugh out of it, and I guess, in a way it is funny, but in a way, it's not. In fact, it's embarrassing. It's humiliating. It's downright unpatriotic. It wasn't until I was grown that I realized that the anthem said 'Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light' instead of 'Oh say, can you see, by the donzerly light'. I always wondered what 'donzerly' was. Go ahead, laugh. My point is this - where are the patriots out there to explain what the song is talking about, what the words mean? Why don't they paint the picture for the little ones who need to know how this country was founded on blood, sweat, tears, and Christianity?

Today I started reading For You They Signed. I came across this book after watching a video of David Barton during one of his Capitol tours. (Did you know that of the 56 signers of the Declaration, 29 of them had seminary degrees??!) Half way through the video, one visitor stated, "We've been lied to", referring to our founding fathers' Christian beliefs. I disagree. It's just like the national anthem - I was never lied to; I was just left to my ignorance. No one purposefully taught me the truth. The government doesn't have to fabricate anything. All they have to do is omit the truth; most people aren't going to take the time to research it anyway. It's more convenient to believe what we're being spoon-fed, rather than to seek out the truth. What a bunch of pansies we've turned out to be! Our forefathers would be shocked and disgraced.



Take the movie John Adams . What a wonderful movie! How eye-opening, patriotic, and moving! BUT - out of the eight hundred people who reviewed the movie on Amazon, how many do you think knew, just from watching the movie, that Mr. Adams was a Christian? Yes, he loved his country. But he loved his God, too. In 'For You They Signed' is an account of an opening day of congress in which six of its members, who are specifically named, prayed for America, Congress, Massachusetts Bay, and Boston. Mr. Adams writes to his wife "We have appointed a continental fast. Millions will be upon their knees at once before their great Creator, imploring His forgiveness and blessing..". Did you know that Congress not only opened with prayer, but also with a reading from Psalm 35? The entire chapter, mind you, not just a few verses. You don't get any of that from the movie. I suppose those who created it thought it would be offensive. (Pansies).

When America won it's independence, it was freedom won from man, but that freedom was given to her by the God she served. Today, we still celebrate that freedom, but I'm afraid it's freedom from God, not from man.

Where are your roots? Are they buried so deeply under half-truths, ignorance, and self-reliance that you can't find them? I must admit, with shame, that I can relate. I knew America had Christian origins, but I couldn't prove it. Now, however, my intent is to arm myself with the facts I'll need to refute and rebuke those who try to teach me, or my children, otherwise.

Fight the good fight - start with David Barton and wallbuilders.com
and the book For You They Signed.

Jenny


0 comments:

Post a Comment