Friday, May 6 |

Proverbs 6:32

Any time I put up a post on a verse or verses of Scripture, what follows is an compilation of thoughts based on what I've been taught by various pastors, what I've read in various study helps, and what the verse or verses say to me personally.

Today's verse isn't so. So in reading the rest of this post, remember, this is PURELY musings and conjecture.

"But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding; he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul"

Obviously, the Bible, and Proverbs in particular has a lot to say about this subject. The forward woman, the  woman who beguiles with her looks and fair speech, is a very real and dangerous threat and has been the downfall of many a man. Adultery is listed in the ten commandments. This is a big deal. In today's society, it's become just another one of those sins to which we've looked the other way, dressing it up, and calling it by another name, any name, to keep from acknowledging it for what it is. The Bible also tells us that every person, no matter race, color, age, or background, WILL be held accountable one day for their actions. Man and woman alike. Each individual.

That being said, I saw something in this verse that I've never seen before. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was interesting. Granted, I'm not an expert on the Bible. I don't have memorized every word. There are even many words I've read and forgotten. But I have been reading it for a while, and in all my reading, I've never seen adultery described in any way other than 'he who commits adultery with a woman'. It's never the other way around - 'she who commits adultery with a man'. Why is that? Like I said, both are responsible for their actions - but could it be, that in this act, the man is the one responsible? If that is the case, then this would explain the severe consequences - 'he destroyeth his own soul'. It doesn't say HERS is destroyed. In another chapter in Proverbs it talks about her house being the house of dead men, but she's still alive, able to strike again.

Then I think about this - God commanded men to love their wives as Christ loved the church. Sacrificial, unwavering, devoted. How severe must be the consequences, then, when the directive given by God Almighty is carelessly crumpled up like so much paper and tossed into the trash.

Fight the good Fight,
Jenny

0 comments:

Post a Comment