Monday, May 16 |

Last Minute Details

I've been burdened as of late by something that happened to a family member of one of my church families.  There was a man, a preacher, a godly man, preaching the Word, serving Christ, making a difference. I say 'there was' because he is now gone, gone to be with the Christ he so faithfully served. His passing from this life into the next was quite sudden -

On a Tuesday afternoon, after spending the day studying for the upcoming Wednesday evening service, he was out somewhere and was bit. I don't know the details of the incident, I only know he was bit, by something, in the side, in the hip, somewhere along those lines. Whatever it was that bit him caused a chain reaction in his system. His bloodstream was affected and the doctors at first said he would loose his leg. That decision was amended later, however, when they discovered that the poison was spreading so quickly through his body that there wasn't anything at all they could do to stop it, and told his family he wasn't going to make it. Before the service was over at my church, before we could even pray for him, he was gone.
Twenty four hours later, he was gone. The day before was a normal day, serving and loving the Lord. The next day, he was standing before his King.

What if it was me? What if I was suddenly in the hospital and the doctors told me I only had twenty-four hours to live? What would I do? What would I say? Who would my last words be to? What last accomplishments would I try to make, or ask others to make in my stead?

The selfish side of me thinks of all the things I didn't get to do. All the things I didn't get to experience. The loved ones I'd leave behind. How would their lives be changed without me? What of my children? How long would it be before I'd be just a fuzzy memory to them?

Then I think, what of Christ, and what I've done or haven't done for Him? Am I happy with what I've done, or what I'm doing? Would I smile with contentment and say, my race has been run, and I'm ready to meet my God?

I try to think about what, in reality, on a daily basis, I could do differently. Not some sort of bucket list, but every day things. I don't think I have any major areas that would need mending to be able to leave this world without regret. However, there's always room for improvement.

What would I do? I don't know. It's hard to think about; there's the 'belief' that nothing's going to happen, so it's not necessary to dwell on such things.  There's also the thought that I'm not doing enough, and if I lived, every day, every moment, in the belief that I may go at any time, my life might be different.

And if the latter is the case, then what guilt must needs follow over not having lived my life that way to begin with?

All else aside, for me, it would boil down to this:

From a lady who passed on long ago, I hear in my head her last dying words to her unbelieving husband. She said to him "Promise me. Promise me I'll see you there". This, above all else, would be in my heart.

Show me, Lord, today, what I must do, that there be no last minute details.

My prayers go out to the Davis family for loosing this man of God. I pray God's will and glory in this will be revealed to those left behind.

Fight the good fight,
Jenny

0 comments:

Post a Comment