Friday, April 15 |

Proverbs 15

"Be ye kind, one to another, tender hearted, forgiving one another, even as as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you".




If you've read today's chapter, you'd know this verse isn't in Proverbs. It's in Ephesians, chapter four, verse thirty-two. But the first couple of verses in today's chapter made me think of this one in Ephesians. Verses 1,2, and 4 are about our speech, and how it can tear down, or build up. I immediately thought of my children when I read this. Anyone else have children who fight with each other? Name calling, words spoken in anger or frustration. I'm constantly drilling that Ephesians verse into them. Every once in a while they surprise me by being extra kind to each other. When they do, I make sure to make a big deal out of it, and encourage them to do more.

But this passage isn't to children. It's to adults. And as adults, our words can be flat out deadly at times. "A soft word turneth away wrath", "the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness", "a wholesome tongue is a tree of life". Who knew there was such power in such a small member of the body? The old childhood rhyme 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me' was a lie if ever I heard one. There are many people out there who will attest to the fact that words can hurt forever.

Mom used to say 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'. That was Biblical. John tells us others will know we are Christians because we have love one for another. That's not just in deed, but in word, too.

Fight the good fight - with kind words!
Jenny

0 comments:

Post a Comment