Tuesday, June 29 |

Little Gems 2

The Strictest Discipline

"If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off...." Matt 5:30 

Oswald Chambers writes "When God changes you through regeneration, giving you new life through spiritual rebirth, your life initially has the characteristic of being maimed. There are a hundred and one things that you dare not do - things that would be sin for you, and would be recognized as sin by those who really know you. But the unspiritual people around you will say, 'What's so wrong with doing that? How absurd you are!' There has never yet been a saint who has not lived a maimed life initially. Yet it is better to enter into life maimed but lovely in Gods' sight than to appear lovely to man's eyes but lame to God's. 

At first, Jesus Christ through His Spirit has to restrain you from doing a great many things that may be perfectly right for everyone else but not right for you."

Paul talks about the grey stuff. People wanted to know where they should draw the line in certain issues, and why they had to draw that line. He talked about us being an example for others to follow, that we should restrain ourselves from anything that even LOOKS like it's sin. We should not be a stumbling block to others in their Christian walk. He made the statement 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should'. 

I myself have battled with this. In one particular area, I have disagreed with my Independent Baptist peers. Though I am not a Bible scholar, as far as formal teaching goes, I have studied on this one particular subject, and have come to believe my own theory concerning this. 

So, I proceeded to do this thing that my denomination (only) deemed inappropriate for a believer. I didn't flaunt it, it was something I was very careful about, because I knew others didn't believe the way I did. But the truth in Mr. Oswald's words hit home for me in a personal way, and in my prayers concerning someone else in this matter, the Lord convicted my own heart. ('First remove the stick in your own eye so you can see to remove the beam in another's Like 6:42) Just because I can doesn't mean I should. 

God has indeed called us to live a maimed life, and I would much rather enter into life maimed but lovely in God's sight, than to appear lovely to man's eyes but lame to God's. I want to be the exception , not the rule. I want to be that 'queer and unusual' person, set apart. In this day and age, Christians are blending in with non-believers. No one wants to be politically incorrect. I for one, do not want to be that Christian. I want to stand out. I want others to know, just by being around me, that there is something different, something special about me. 

This requires sacrifices on my part. God grant me the strength to make the sacrifices you call me to make. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment