Friday, May 7 |

Seventy Times Seven

"Then came Peter to him and said to him, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

Peter must have given himself a pat on the back for offering a whole seven times! The Lord taught that we should forgive unconditionally, without limit. Sometimes it's very difficult to forgive (see my post Matt. 5:44), and sometimes it's easy to forgive, especially when you look at it through God's eyes. I'm a sinner, just like you. I can be honest enough with myself to admit that I'm not perfect. I'm humble enough to admit that there have been many times before, and many times to come, where God has given his grace, in not giving me what I deserve. How can I not bestow that same grace upon another?

BUT. Where's the balance between 'I forgive you', and 'I was hurt, our relationship is damaged, and now there are consequences that must be paid'?. Oh, and 'please don't do that again!' How do we forgive but not give ourselves to be slaughtered again? How do we love but not give the impression that it's ok for you to use and abuse me, cause you know I'm just going to forgive you for it anyway?

Thank you, Father, for your grace to me. Please protect me as I, in turn, pass your grace on to others.


0 comments:

Post a Comment