Saturday, April 10 |

The Power of A Praying Wife

I just wanted to post a few things that jumped out at me while reading this book. I'm about a third of the way into it, and I have to say, the wisdom in this author is astounding. I couldn't recommend this book highly enough.

  • Pg. 17,16 "A wife's prayers for her husband have a far greater effect on him than anyone else's, even his mother's. A mother's prayers for her child are certainly fervent. But when a man marries, he leaves his father and mother and becomes one with his wife (Matt 19:5). They are a team, one unit, unified in spirit. The strength of a man and wife joined together in God's sight is far greater than the sum of the strengths of each of the two individuals.        That's because the Holy Spirit unites them and gives added power to their prayers.  That's also why there is so much at stake if we don't pray. Can you imagine praying for the right side of your body and not the left? If the right side is not sustained and protected and it falls, it's going to bring down the left side with it. The same is true of you and your husband. If you pray for yourself and not him, you will never find the blessings and fulfillment you want. What happens to him happens to you and you can't get around it.        This oneness gives us a power the enemy doesn't like. That's why he devises ways to weaken it. He gives us whatever we will fall for, whether it be low self-esteem, pride, the need to be right, miscommunication, or the bowing to our own selfish desires.

  • Pg 21 "What About Me? ....Praying for your husband will be an act of unselfish, unconditional love and sacrifice on your part. You must be willing to make this commitment knowing it is quite possible - even highly probable - that he will never pray for you in the same way. In some cases, he may not pray for you at all. ..... regardless of whether he does or doesn't is not your concern, it's God's. So release him from that obligation. If he doesn't pray for you, it's his loss more than yours. Your happiness and fulfillment will not ride on whether he prays, it will depend on your own relationship with the Lord". (And then she goes on to suggest we find women partners to pray with and for us).
  • Pg. 37 "I don't care how liberated you are, when you are married there will always be two areas that will ultimately be your responsibility: home and children. Even if you are the only one working and your husband stays home to keep the house and tend the kids, you will still be expected to see that the heart of your home is a peaceful sanctuary - a source of contentment, acceptance, rejuvenation, nurturing, rest, and love for your family. On top of this, you will also be expected to be sexually appealing, a good cook, a great mother, and physically, emotionally, and spiritually fit. It's overwhelming to most women, but the good news is, you don't have to do it all on you own. You can seek God's help. 
Pgs 17-16 describe the unity of a husband and wife in a way I've never thought of before. Kind of make sense for you to pray for both sides of the body, doesn't it? It also helps explain why Satan attacks marriages. We can do so much more damage to the work of Satan when we stand united against him. 

Pg 21 - How many times have I asked this question? Like I said on my 'In My Experience' page, men are selfish; but then again, so are we. Where would we be, if Christ had cried out in the end, 'Father, what about Me'? Marriage isn't fifty-fifty. It's one hundred-zero. That means I give one hundred percent, even if he gives nothing. It's hard to be disappointed and angry and resentful if you don't expect anything in return. In my case, my husband isn't saved, so there's no question as to whether or not he'll be praying for me. I know he will not, and that's ok. 

It's hard - there's so much I feel like I'm doing by myself. And sometimes the flesh cries out 'what about ME!' and that just makes things harder. I loose my focus, and things start falling apart. But when I put my focus back on the job at hand, and Who I'm doing this for, then everything runs smoothly again. 

Pg 37 It is SO very important that a man feel safe and happy in his home. He may be be the one responsible for financial security, but WE'RE the one's responsible for emotional security. As long as my husband keeps telling me how much he looks forward to coming home, I know I'm doing my job right. 

That's it for now; I'm up to chapter five. More to come....

5 comments:

Liz said...

I like your comments. I haven't read the book before, but you've convinced me I should. I'll have to put it on my list.

HB said...

You have a list too, huh? :) Mine keeps getting longer instead of shorter! Let me know how it goes!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

This is such a fun party and I have already met some of the greatest bloggers... I am amazed at all the different and creative blogs. Stop by for a visit...just leave a comment on any of the last few posts on either blog and you are eligible for the GRAND PRIZE $100 GIFT BASKET!
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/

The Activity Mom said...

That book has always jumped out at me to read and I haven't yet. I think I need to though. Thanks for the great insight! Stopping by from the party!

Mrs. Gertha said...

I have enjoyed my visit. Insightful post and I will be following your blog!!

Post a Comment